Wednesday 26 June 2013

The Golden Car With Infinite Gears

Imagine if you had a car with infinite gears? What would it be like to drive? As you drive up a hill in a real car you need to go down the gears and as you go down hill you can coast or change up the gears to maintain control. Sudden gear shifts are needed all over the place in mainstream swimming lessons all of the time because everyone is unique but forced into a group situation. What is common to every lesson? Me saying to myself, am I going slowly enough for everyone here? Is there anyone who will not cope with what I have in mind to try next? How can I make it easier for them to join in in some way? How do I stop them feeling left out if everyone else is ready? All of this sounds complex and too brainpower consuming however it is nowhere near as hard as it sounds.

There are literally thousands of ways of approaching the exploration of a skill in water, some are counterintuitive and connected to other fronts of learning and when you understand that each skill lies furled inside everyone already, waiting to flower in the right conditions at the right time then you can afford to bide your time and pick your moments in a myriad ways. This is how I would describe the approach I and my business partner Zoe now use to show people how to learn to swim. Having the skills to show someone what to do is one thing but letting what is inside come out is another altogether. It is like driving a gleaming golden car with infinite gears rather than a battered old silver model with dodgey brakes.

No comments: